Historical Societies Partner to Educate Elementary Students

The Farmingville Historical Society hosts local third, fourth and fifth grade elementary students every year at our 1850 Bald Hill Schoolhouse. The students participate in a one-hour field trip the schoolhouse, learning about what it was like to go to school in the 1850’s.

Read More →

Electric Christmas Lights Were Put on a Christmas Tree in 1882

1850 Christmas Tree

Electric Christmas Lights were added to the Christmas tree in 1882.  Before then, candles were used to create glimmer and sparkle.

The Christmas tree in the 1850 Bald Hill SchoolHouse does not have electric lights and would not have had electric lights in 1850.  In addition to candles, cranberries, pine cones, dolls, candy and fruits were strung and used as decorations.

Christmas lights have been one of the most popular Christmas decorations for the past century. In 1882, three years after Edison invented the first sensible light bulb, Edward H. Johnson created the first Christmas lights in his home in New York City. The tree was hand-wired and lit with 80 red, white, and blue globes. The tree slowling revolved and the lights blinked and twinkled.

Read More →

Conquer the Hills is Back as a Trail Run

Conquer the Hills 5K launched as a road race in March 2010. The race left from Lynwood Avenue Elementary School and conquered the hills of Farmingville including the infamous hills of Adirondack and Berkshire.  Conquer the Hills took place in 2010, 2011 and 2013.

Read More →

Local Elementary Students Honored with History Awards

This week, the Farmingville Historical Society honored three fifth grade Sachem elementary school students with a History Award.  The Farmingville Historical Society established a 5th Grade History Award to honor one special student at Lynwood Avenue Elementary School, Waverly Avenue Elementary School and Chippewa Elementary School.

Read More →

A Third Grade Trip to the Year 1850

127 3rd graders from Lynwood Avenue Elementary School visited the Bald Hill One-Room Schoolhouse on April 27 and 28, 2017.  Ms. BJ welcomed them as they departed from the bus at Farmingville Hills County Park.  She explained how Farmingville Hills County Park used to be the home of the Bussing Family who owned one of the best orchards and farms in Long Island.  The Bussing’s were known for their fruit trees and bountiful vegetables and fruits.

Read More →

An Interview with Gene Farmer, Our First History Intern

During the 2016 fall semester, the Farmingville Historical Society was very fortunate to have a History Intern from Stony Brook University.  The purpose of the internship was to provide a student with an opportunity to apply the skills he has acquired as a History Major through hands-on experience and assistance with the Historical Society’s educational, preservation, and research projects. The students also receive class credit for the internship.

Read More →

Schoolhouse Opens for Holiday Hot Cider and Candy

On Sunday, December 11, 2016 from 1PM – 3:00PM, the Bald Hills Schoolhouse will be open.  Stop by with your family, friends, and kids to check out the inside of the schoolhouse and enjoy some free hot cider and rock candy for the kids!!

Read More →

Lynwood 3rd Graders Visit 1850 One Room School House

Third Graders Experience 19th Century History

Sixty-six third-graders from Lynwood Avenue Elementary School took a field trip to the 1850 One Room School House on May 23, 2016 to learn about what school was like in the 1850’s.

Bussing Family Fruit Farm

The bus arrived at Farmingville Hills County Park where the students were introduced to the Park and hiking trails.  The Park was formerly the home of the Bussings and the Bussing fruit farm.  Mr. George Bussing was a fruit farmer. George and his wife, Marie Bussing, were married for over 50 years.  Originally from Brooklyn, they moved to Farmingville and lived here for over 41 years. They had 3 daughters, 2 sons and 10 grandchildren. When Marie Bussing passed at 86 years old, she had 18 great grandchildren and 2 great-great grandchildren.

Read More →

History of Farmingville at Sachem Library

With over 80 guests in attendance, the Farmingville Historical Society presented the History of Farmingville at Sachem Public Library.

Farmingville was known as South Koram Hills, Hamlet of Bald Hills, Mooney Ponds and became known as Farmingville around 1900. The area was settled in 1783 by Brewster Terry. Within 10 years there were 5 houses in the town of Bald Hills. The earliest homes said to be built between 1790 and 1797 were owned by Daniel Terry, Brewster Terry, David Overton and the Hammond Family. In 1749 Daniel Terry became the first tax payer in Brookhaven. Here you can see the original deed. Daniel Terry was deeded 1000 acres for 17 shillings and 10 pence, an amount equal to 7 or 8 days wages for a craftsman in the building trade.

Read More →

Board Visits Historic Firehouse To Assess Possible Move

The Farmingville Historical Society Board met with developer Michael Kelly on January 30, 2016 to take a closer look at the historic firehouse that exists on the property that he currently owns. Michael Kelly is the developer for the future arboretum project on Portion/Horseblock Road, across the street from the 1850 Schoolhouse.

Read More →