Mary Ann Terry Overton
Mary Ann Terry Overton
Born: December 28, 1802, Farmingville, LI, NY
Died: May 17, 1883, Bayport, LI, NY
Burial: New Village Congregational Church Cemetery, Lake Grove, LI, NY
Mary Ann Terry Overton was the daughter of Daniel Terry and Lydia Ann Homan. She was born on December 28, 1802 and died on May 17, 1883. Daniel Terry was the son of Timothy Brewster Terry (b. January 29, 1732, d. August 23, 1796) and Elizabeth Davis (b. June 6, 1746, d. July 28, 1842). Timothy Brewster Terry’s parents were Gershom T. Terry and Mary Wells (b. about 1717 and d. about 1749). Elizabeth Davis’ parents were Elnathan “Elijah” Davis (b. March 19, 1726; d. July 6, 1802 Coram, LI, NY) and Mary Moger (b. July 12, 1734; d. October 4, 1786 in Coram, LI, NY).
Mary Ann Terry married Davis Overton Jr. who was born on September 21, 1799 and died on May 11, 1857. They married on December 1, 1821. Davis Overton Jr. was the son of Davis Overton (b. 1770; d. August 8, 1836) and Deborah Wells (b. 1773; d. September 17, 1843). Davis Overton was the son of David Overton (b. August 29, 1739, Brookhaven, LI, NY and d. March 24, 1826) and Mary Davis. David Overton was the son of David Overton (b. about 1712; d. between 1790-1793, Coram, LI NY) and Anna Hulse (b. about 1715; d. about 1747). Mary Davis was the daughter of Daniel Davis and Abigail Hulse.
Davis Overton Jr. is referred to as Deacon David Overton in the NYG&B item about his burial. He was a Long Island School Teacher and farmer. Davis and Mary lived in Bald Hills which is now known as Farmingville.
Davis Overton Jr. and Mary Ann Terry has the following children:
- Rev. Floyd Overton was born on November 6, 1822 and died on August 22, 1855 in Peoria, IL. He was a graduate of Amhurst College and the Union Theological Seminary. He was a Congregational Minister.
- Daniel Terry Overton was bory on April 17, 1825. He died on April 7, 1865. He married Charity Alwood Hawkins. She was born on April 23, 1826 in New Village (Centereach), LI, NY. She died on August 14, 1921 in Blue Point, LI, NY.
- Charlotte August Overton was born on July 6, 1827. She married John Milton Norton. He was born about 1827. He dies on January 20, 1867 in Port Chester, NY. They had 3 children together. After his death, Charlotte married John Holdredge.
- Buel Davis Overton was born on November 19, 1830. He died on March 20, 1898. He married Susan Smith. She was born about 1820. They had 3 children. After Susan’s death, Buel married Elizabeth and had 3 more children with her. (Elizabeth was previously married to a Lockwood)
- Oakley Atwood Overton was born on February 16, 1833. He died on May 22, 1911. He married Mary Esther Hawkins. She was born on August 10. 1839 in New Village (Centereach), LI, NY. She died on July 13, 1911.
- Mary Esther Overton was born on July 13, 1835. She died on March 27, 1904. She married William Terry. She married John Hagins after William passed away.
- Whitman Watts Overton was born on January 8, 1838. he died on October 27, 1923. He married Lydia Ann Terry, daughter of Thomas Terry and Phebe Rachel Hudson on December 27, 1862 in Farmingville, LI, NY. She was born on February 28, 1844 in Farmingville, LI, NY. She died on April 22, 1931 in Bayport, LI, NY. Lydia died at the home of her daughter Mrs. Bertram Smith of Bayport, LI, NY.
- Caroline Adelia Overton was born on July 31, 1840. She died in November, 1922. She married Samuel M. Darling. He was born about 1834 in Setauket, LI, NY. He died on February 3, 1861 in Bernardsville, NJ. She then married John Hall.
- Emma Jane Overton was born on February 5, 1843. She died on December 17, 1859 in Hudson River Institute, Claverack, NY.