1850 One-Room Schoolhouse Course
Our virtual One-Room Schoolhouse education program is the perfect way to allow students to continue visiting our 1850 One-Room Schoolhouse and learn about local history. During our virtual one-room schoolhouse education course, experience what it was like to live and go to school in the 1850s. Visit the inside and outside of the schoolhouse, explore artifacts, and compare today’s schools to the 1850 schoolhouse. In addition, the course discusses these important topics that help set the stage for everything that was taking place during this timeframe in our American history:
- The President during 1850
- The Origins of the American Flag
- The Pledge of Allegiance
- Recess & Games that were Played
- Food during the 1850s & what Students brought for lunch
- Chores – before, during, and after school
- 1850-Style Clothing for Men, Women & Children
- Student Punishments
- Writing Instruments
Come explore what life was like in 1850!
After you register and pay for the program, the Farmingville Historical Society will send you a login within 24 hours of registration. Click here to register as an individual or group/class. Group/Class registration will require a discussion about your what you are looking for and special group pricing.
You can click on the Curriculum to review the Course sections.
In this section you will have an opportunity to vritually enter an 1850 one-room schoolhouse located in Farmingville, New York. Explore the inside and outside of the historic schoolhouse. You can zoom in on the artifacts and read about each one. Think about the similarities and differences of our one-room schoolhouse to your current school and classroom.
America in the 1800s
In this section, you will learn a little bit more about America during the 1800s to help set the stage for what was occurring during those times. Think about how students may have been impacted.
Inside the One-Room Schoolhouse
This section helps to describe a student's experience during the 1800s - what it was like to go to school during the 1800s?
Recess in the 1800s
Even during the 1800s, students were given an opportunity to play and enjoy some time with friends. This section explores the many games and toys that students played.
- 1800s Recess & Games: Baseball
- 1800s Recess & Games: Cup & Ball
- 1800s Recess & Games: Dolls
- 1800s Recess & Games: Dominoes
- 1800s Recess & Games: Hoop and Stick
- 1800s Recess & Games: Jacob’s Ladder
- 1800s Recess & Games: Pickup Sticks
- 1800s Recess & Games: Teetotum
- 1800s Recess & Games: Tiddlywinks
- 1800s Recess & Games: Yo-Yo
- 1800s Recess & Games Copy